4. Inexplicably, Ryan did not counter the allegation that he was responsible for the disaster at Benghazi because he was responsible for cuts in funding to consular security, a charge that was brought up yesterday at the House hearings by Elijah Cummings, and parried.
5. He did not forcefully point out the prima facie absurdity of Biden’s claim that “we” did not receive requests for additional security in Libya. That claim is directly contradicted by the testimony yesterday.
6. He did not examine Biden’s claim that Iran, even if it is able to produce weapons grade nuclear material, does not have a delivery system. On its face, this claim is implausible if it is a claim that the Iranians do not have missiles. Also, even assuming its truth, there are more ways to skin that delivery cat. This was not addressed. It was a strange argument to make, and Ryan let it lie.
7. When Biden brought up GM, and Ryan pivoted to talking about Romney’s good-car-guy bona fides, that seemed forced, and veering off topic. He should have discussed the fiscal state of GM, and the losing stake American taxpayers have in that company. He should have explained bankruptcy and not let the easy generalization that it is Draconian slip by. He should have pointed out the company has requested the government sell its stake so it can improve its position.
8. Ryan effectively presented the R&R proposals vis Social Security and Medicare and effectively answered the vouchers bugaboo.
3. Raddatz interrupted the exchange too much. She cut Ryan off in mid-stream more than she did Biden. She did have some tough questioning for Biden though, particularly on his Iran claims questioning that more or less made up for her treatment of Ryan.
Final score: On the ground that the impression of condescension and bullying was much more pronounced on the video, I’ll tilt that one field goal edge Ryan’s way. I suspect that’s my partisan lens in action. Someone leaning the other way would probably flip that score Biden’s way. Truly objective assessments? We’ll see in the ensuing days.
Complete Video here: